The Mercedes EQS is an all-electric luxury sedan that is designed to compete with the likes of the Tesla Model S, Porsche Taycan, and Audi e-tron GT. The EQS is the first vehicle to be built on Mercedes' dedicated electric vehicle platform, which offers numerous advantages over traditional ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) platforms, including improved efficiency, performance, and driving dynamics.
The EQS is the future of Mercedes-Benz and a good hard look at what lies ahead for the world’s oldest carmaker, which has given notice to the combustion engine. The company has stated that it will make its range fully electric by 2030, well before the EU’s end date of 2035, for the internal combustion engine.
The Mercedes EQS is a flagship electric vehicle that boasts an impressive design that sets it apart from other luxury cars on the market. Mercedes has put a lot of effort into the design of the EQS, creating a futuristic and sleek exterior that is both elegant and aerodynamic. Here are some key design features of the Mercedes EQS:
- Distinctive front-end design: The front end of the EQS features a black panel grille with an illuminated three-pointed star logo. The grille blends seamlessly into the hood, creating a smooth and continuous front fascia.
- Sleek, coupe-like silhouette: The EQS has a sloping roofline and a low, wide stance, which gives it a sporty and athletic look. The coupe-like silhouette is enhanced by the long, uninterrupted hood and the short overhangs.
- Aerodynamic body: The EQS has a drag coefficient of just 0.20, making it one of the most aerodynamic cars on the market. The sleek body design, including a smooth underbody, helps to reduce wind resistance and improve efficiency.
- Unique lighting design: The EQS features a unique lighting design that incorporates "light belt" technology. The light belt runs along the base of the side windows and along the front and rear of the car, creating a continuous strip of light that highlights the car's elegant lines.
- High-tech interior: The interior of the EQS is just as impressive as the exterior, with a large, curved 56-inch OLED display that stretches across the dashboard. The minimalist design is enhanced by the use of high-quality materials, including leather, wood, and metal.
The Mercedes EQS features a dual-motor electric drivetrain that delivers impressive performance figures. The base EQS 450+ model produces 329 horsepower and 406 lb-ft of torque, which is enough to propel the car from 0 to 60 mph in just 5.5 seconds. The more powerful EQS 580 4MATIC model features a larger battery and an additional front motor that boosts power output to 516 horsepower and 631 lb-ft of torque. This enables the EQS 580 to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.1 seconds, which is faster than many high-performance gasoline-powered sports cars.
In addition to its impressive acceleration, the Mercedes EQS also delivers excellent handling and driving dynamics, thanks in part to its low center of gravity and advanced suspension system. The car features standard air suspension that can automatically adjust to changing road conditions, providing a smooth and comfortable ride. The EQS also features rear-wheel steering, which enhances maneuverability at low speeds and stability at high speeds.
The Mercedes EQS also offers impressive range figures, with the base EQS 450+ model offering up to 400 miles of range on a single charge (based on the WLTP testing cycle), while the EQS 580 4MATIC model offers up to 360 miles of range. The car features a large 107.8 kWh battery pack that can be recharged using fast DC charging stations, which can provide up to 186 miles of range in just 15 minutes.
Features & More
In addition to its impressive design and performance, the Mercedes EQS also comes with a range of innovative features that enhance the driving experience and comfort of the passengers. Here are some of the additional features of the Mercedes EQS:
- Hyperscreen: The Mercedes EQS comes with a massive 56-inch Hyperscreen that spans the entire dashboard. This advanced infotainment system is made up of three displays - one for the driver's instrument cluster, one for the center console, and one for the front passenger. The Hyperscreen uses artificial intelligence to learn the driver's preferences and adjust the display accordingly.
- MBUX: The Mercedes-Benz User Experience (MBUX) is an intuitive and intelligent infotainment system that is powered by artificial intelligence. It allows the driver and passengers to control various features of the car using voice commands, gestures, or the touchscreen.
- Rear Axle Steering: The Mercedes EQS comes with an optional rear-axle steering system that allows the rear wheels to turn in the opposite direction of the front wheels at low speeds. This improves maneuverability and reduces the turning radius of the car, making it easier to park and navigate through tight spaces.
- Active Ambient Lighting: The Mercedes EQS features an advanced ambient lighting system that uses over 250 LED lights to create a customizable and immersive lighting experience. The lighting changes color and intensity depending on the driving mode and can also be customised to the driver's preference.
- Energising Comfort: The Mercedes EQS comes with an Energising Comfort feature that uses music, lighting, and climate control to create a relaxing and comfortable environment inside the car. The system uses various programs such as Freshness, Vitality, Joy, and Comfort to suit the driver's mood and preference.
- Augmented Reality Head-Up Display: The Mercedes EQS offers an optional augmented reality head-up display that projects important information such as navigation instructions, speed limits, and road signs onto the windshield. The display uses advanced technology to overlay the information onto the real-world environment, making it easier for the driver to stay focused on the road.
While the exact prices of the Mercedes EQS are not confirmed, it is expected to fall within the range of Rs 1.82 crore to Rs 2 crore, placing it in the higher end of the market. However, one thing is certain: the EQS will revolutionize the luxury electric vehicle market with its cutting-edge design, futuristic cabin, and exceptional driving experience. Despite breaking away from traditional Mercedes models, the EQS remains true to the brand's core values of luxury, refinement, and quality, delivered in a high-tech package. Undoubtedly, the EQS is the ultimate electric luxury vehicle available.